College Master, Cheong Kun Lun College
Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Arts and Humanities
2019- Present Chairman of the Macau Federation for Translators and Interpreters.
2007- 2019 Vice President and Founding Member of the Macau Federation for Translators and Interpreters.
2017-Present Co-Chief Editor of Babel: International Journal of Translation.
2017-Present Advisory Board member of Benjamins Translation Library (BTL).
2017-Present Committee Member of the Chinese Committee of Language Services for The Belt & Road Initiative.
2003- Present Council Member and Specialist Member of the Chinese Translators’ Association.
2017- Present Associate Director of the Translation Theory and Translation Teaching Committee of the Chinese Translators’ Association.
2016- Present Executive Board member of the Joint Committee of Asia-Pacific Translation and Interpreting Forum.
2004- Present Member of the International Association for Translation and Intercultural Studies.
2005- Present Council Member of the Chinese Association for English/ Chinese Contrastive Studies.
2007- Present Member on Editorial Board of Chinese Translators’ Journal.
2013- Present Member on the Advisory Board of New Perspectives inTranslation Studies.
2012- Present Editorial Board member of Asia Pacific Translation andIntercultural Studies.
2018- Present Editorial Board member of Benjamins Translation Library series published by John Benjamins.
2019- Present Editorial Board member of Target. International Journal of Translation Studies.
2016-2018 Editorial Board member of Perspectives: Studies in Translation Theory and Practice,
|1. Zhang, M. “A Multimodal Approach to Translation Teaching” at the 9th Asia- Pacific Translation and Interpreting Forum (APTIF9), Seoul, Korea, July 5-7, 2019.
2. Zhang, M. “Systemic Functional Linguistics in Translation Studies: from Linguistic Shifts to Social Accountability”, invited keynote speech at the 26th Symposium on Functional Linguistics and Discourse Analysis, Sun Yat-sen University, Zhuhai,May 6-7, 2019.
3. 張美芳 黃才試 孫斯斯.“在書院生活中培養學生的中華文化價值觀: 以澳門大學張昆侖書院爲例”,第六届海峽兩岸暨港澳地區高校現代書院制教育論壇. 上海：復旦大學，7月4-7日，2019.
4. Zhang, M. “Macao-Shanghai/Anji Intercultural Communication and Comparative Study Program”, presented at the 6th NASPA Annual Conference & International Symposium, Los Angeles, CA, U.S., March 11–15, 2018. (Zhang Meifang & Sun Sisi)
5. Zhang, M. “Discourse Analytical Approaches to Translation Studies: from Linguistic Shifts to Social Accountability”, keynote speech at Translation Studies Methodology, Hong Kong City University, Hong Kong, April, 29-30, 2018.
6. Zhang, M. “Appliable Linguistics in Translation Studies: from linguistic shifts to social accountability”, Keynote speech at Systemic Functional Linguistics in Translation Studies, Bejing Normal University, Beijing, June 2-4 2018.
7. Zhang, M. “Critical Analysis of Political Discourse and Translation: Context and Persuasion” Presented at the 6th IATIS Conference, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong, July 3-6, 2018.
8. Zhang, M. “Decoding Conceptual Metaphors in Political Discourse and Translation”, presented at RaAM 12, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, 6.26-28, 2018.
9. Zhang, M. “Critical Discourse Analysis and Its Application in Translation Studies”, Keynote Speech at the 1st Roundtable Seminar on Translation Studies and Translation Studies Research Methodology, University of Macau, Macao, Nov. 18-20, 2017.
10. Zhang, M. “Translating a Legendary Chinese Heroin into a Hybrid Cultural Character: a multimodal approach to translations of Mulan”, presented at the 6th New Zealand Discourse Conference, Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand, Dec. 6-9, 2017.
11. Zhang, M. “Application of the Appraisal Theory in Translation Studies“, invited keynote speech at the International Conference on Appliable Linguistics and Translation Studies, Shanghai JiaoTong University, July 16-19, 2017.
12. Zhang, M. “Development of Translation Studies in the Post-Holmes Era: Scope and Approaches”, Keynote speech at the 1st National Forum on Translation Theory and Methodology, Guangzhou, Jan. 7-8, 2017.
13. Zhang, M. “A Cognitive Approach to Conceptual Metaphor Translation in Political Texts”, plenary speech at
3rd International Conference on Cognitive Research on Translation and Interpreting, Macao, Nov. 3-4, 2016.
14. Zhang, M. “Political Discourse and Translation: With special focus on translations of President Xi’s public addresses”, plenary speech at the 5th Asia-Pacific Translation and Intercultural Studies Forum, Hawaii, Oct. 28-30, 2016.
15. Zhang, M. “An Innovative Approach to Translation Teaching via Moodle”, presented at the 8th Asia Pacific Translators’ Forum behind the Scenes: Translation and Interpreting in Tomorrow’s Asia-Pacific Region, Xi’an, China, June 17-19, 2016.
16. Zhang, M. “Changing Focuses in Translated News for Target Readers: A discourse analytic approach to Global Times’ stance and positioning in Snowden’s Disclosures”, presented at the IATIS 5th International Conference on “Innovation Paths in Translation and Intercultural Studies”, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, July 7-10, 2015.
- Selected Journal Articles
- Zhang, M. & and FENG (eds.) “Introduction: Multimodal Approaches to Translation and Interpreting”, in Multimodality and Paratext in Translation Studies. London & New York: Routledge, 2020.
- Zhang, M. & J. Munday. “Innovation in discourse analytic approaches to translation studies”, in Perspectives: Studies in Translation Theory and Practice, 159-165, 26 (2), 2018.
- Luo, T. & Zhang M. “Reconstructing cultural identity via paratexts: A case study on Lionel Giles’ translation of The Art of War”, in Perspectives: Studies in Translation Theory and Practice, 593-611, 26 (4), 2018.
- Qin, B. & Zhang M. “Reframing translated news for target readers: A narrative account to news translation in Snowden’s disclosures”, in Perspectives: Studies in Translation Theory and Practice, pp. 261-276, 26 (2), 2018.
- Pan, H. & Zhang M. “Discourse and Translation Manipulation by Institutional Power: A case study of Macao SARS Public Notices”., in Translation Quarterly 1-20, No. 89, 2018
- Qin, Binjian. & Zhang M. (覃斌健、张美芳).新闻翻译中的叙事重构：以斯诺登事件为例，《译苑新谭》2018，第10辑，页09-18.
- Zhang Xiaoyu & Zhang M.（张箫雨 张美芳）.修辞与说服——政治说辞批评分析模式探讨,《外国语言与文化》2018, 第2卷 第3期,页90-101.
- Zhang, M. “Development of Translation Studies in the Post-Holmes Era: Scope and Approaches”, in Chinese Translators’ Journal, 2017 (5): 25-32.
- Pan Hanting & Zhang, M. “Construction and Development of Macau’s Gaming Discourse in the Post-Handover Era”, (with Pan Hanting) in Journal of Macau Studies, 2017 (2): 73-87.
- Luo，Tian & Zhang M. “On Translations in the Macau-based Newspaper The Reformer China and Their Impacts on the Late Qing Dynasty”, (with Luo Tian) in Journal of Macau Studies, 2017 (1): 130-139.
- Pan H. & Zhang M. “Translating for a healthier gaming industry: Keywords and translation in Macao’s gaming discourse”, in Translation Spaces, 2016 5 (2), 163–
- Munday, J. & Zhang M. “Introduction” to the Special Issue of Target: Discourse Analysis in Translation Studies, pp.325-334, 27(3), 2015.
- Zhang, M. et al. “The Development of Discourse Analytical Approaches to Translation Studies: A Bibliometric Overview”, in Chinese Translators’ Journal, 2015 (5): 25-32.
- Zhang, M. & Pan H. “Institutional Power In and Behind Discourse: A Case Study of SARS Notices and Their Translations Used in Macao”, first author, with Pan Hanting, in the Special Issue of Target: Discourse Analysis in Translation Studies. Co-edited by J. Munday & M. Zhang, 2015, 27(3), 387-405.
- Zhang M. et al. “Mapping Discourse Analysis in Translation Studies via Bibliometrics: a Survey of Journal Publications”, first author, with H. Pan, X. Chen & T. Luo, in Perspectives: Studies in Translatology, 2015, 23:2, 223-239.
- Zhang M. “Teaching Translation with a Model of Multimodality”, in Asia Pacific Translation and Intercultural Studies, 2015, 2 (1), 30-45.
- Luo Tian & Zhang M. Research on Translations of The Art of War: Past and Prospects, with Luo Tian, in Translation Quarterly, 75, 50-65.
- Zhang M. “Comments on Towards the Making of Translation Textbooks in China: Framework and Strategies”. in Shanghai Journal of Translators, 2015 (1): 54-57.
- Zhang M. and Pan H. “Logical Connections in Legal Texts and Their Translations”, in Contemporary Foreign Languages Studies, 2014 (7): 50-55.
- Zhang M. “Translating for Targeted Readers: Annotation and Adaptation in the Chinese Translation of Joyce’s Ulysses”, in New Perspectives in Translation Studies, 2013 (5): 70-78.
- Zhang M. “Text Types, Translation Purpose and Translation Strategies”, in Shanghai Journal of Translators, 2013 (4): 5-10.
- Zhang M. “Stance and Mediation in Transediting News Headlines as Paratexts”, in Perspectives: Studies in Translatology, 2013, 21(3): 396-411.
- Zhang M. “Translating Information Appropriately for Target Readers: A Case Study of the Translation of Palace Museum Website Materials” (first author, with Chen Xi), in Chinese Translators Journal, 2013(4): 99-103.
- Zhang M. “Annotation and Adaptation: A Case Study of a Chinese Translation of Joyce’s Ulysses”, in Translation Quarterly, 2012, 64: 32-54.
- Zhang M. “Reading Different Cultures through Cultural Translation: On Translations of Site-names in Macau Historic Centre”, in 2012, 58 (2):205-218. (ISSN 0521-9744)
- Zhang M. “Paratextual Elements in Translation: with Special Reference to News Translation”, in Chinese Translators Journal, 2011(2): 50-55.
- Zhang M. “Translating a Citation with the Golden Mean: Reflection on the Translation of Citation for Mr. Li Zhaoxing”, in Shanghai Journal of Translators, 2011 (2): 39-44.
- Zhang M & Pan L. “Introducing a Chinese Perspective on Translation Shifts: A Comparative Study of Shift Models by Loh and Vinay & Darbelnet”, in the Special Issue of The Translator: Chinese Discourse on Translation, 2009/ 15(2): 351-74 (ISSN 1355-6509 print；ISSN 1757-0409 online).
- Zhang M. “Text Typology and Its Implications for Translation Studies”, in Chinese Translators Journal, 2009/5: 53- 60.
- Zhang M. “Social Context and Translation of Public Notices”, in Babel 2009/55( 2): 142-152. (ISSN 0521-9744)
- Zhang M. “Cultural Access to Macao-On Name Translations of Macao World Heritage”, in Shanghai Journal of Translators, 2009/2: 29-33.
- Monographs/ edited special issue of indexed journals (since 2015)
- Zhang M. & D. Feng (eds.), Multimodality and Paratext in Translation Studies. London & New York: Routledge, 2020.
- Zhang M & J. Munday. Innovation in discourse analytic approaches to translation studies, special issue of Perspectives: Studies in Translation Theory and Practice, 26 (2), 2018. https://doi.org/10.1080/0907676X.2018.1403740
- Munday & Zhang M. Discourse Analysis in Translation Studies, (The contents of this collection were previously published in Target 27:3, 2015), John Benjamins, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1075/bct.94
- Zhang, M. Functional Approaches to English-Chinese Translation. Beijing: Foreign Languages Press, 2015. [张美芳，《功能途徑論翻譯: 以英漢翻譯為例》，北京：外文出版社, 2015]
- Munday, J. & Zhang M. Discourse Analysis in Translation Studies, special issue of Target: International Journal of Translation Studies, co-edited with J. Munday, (27) : 3, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1075/target.27.3